Friday, July 20, 2007

Casper to Ft. Collins

That wind from last night disappeared and it was roasting in the tent. Woke up at 6:30!

Went back to give the Casper disc golf course another shot. It was totally worth it – this course was outrageous. Long holes with lots of trees and rough, MASSIVE elevation changes (like throwing up and down cliffs on a couple of the holes), and abundant wildlife - my disc landed right next to a 5 ft snake one time (I befriended it!), a family of deer, rabbits everywhere, and a bunch of bees.

I also did my altruistic duty today by supporting a Casper teens in crisis initiative - I was persuaded into getting a car wash in a shopping center parking lot that I had pulled into to look at my map for a second. The kids that were washing the car didn’t seem to be in too much crisis though, and I’m not sure what kind of trouble there is to get into in Casper.

I was going to try to do a bike ride in Laramie WY on the way down to Ft. Collins CO, but I was too heat blasted. I had to even pull over at a rest stop on the way down to take a snooze for a couple of mins.

Made it to John and Cristin’s in Ft. Collins by about 6. Here’s a little story for you. John’s got this great kegerator. Last time I saw John (with Rob and Habs last year), John served us up a local microbrew called Great Divide (still not sure why he’s not going for the top shelf stuff – there’s a huge Bud plant right down the street). Let me tell you the next day I had the worst migraine of my entire life, as in I couldn’t even move. I attributed it to the hoppiness of the beer. When I told John about this, he thought it was dehydration/altitude sickness. I guess that’s good news – as long as I chug more water, maybe I can get away with having more beer, like on my cereal in the morning and stuff.

Pics:

This was back at the Casper disc golf course. Figures the one time I don't take the camera, I see cool stuff like the huge snake. After the round, I went back to the parking lot to get the camera, since I figured I'd be able to see everything again. Only the deer...


What the heck is this all about - this was the parking lot where I got the car wash in Casper. I guess they really like their local sports heroes ;)


I did my best to, but I still feel a bit dehydrated...this heat is relentless...




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Andrew,

If I saw a five foot snake, I would let it keep the disc.

Good news on the new bike seat. I purchased a brand called "The Seat," which is litterly a bike seat without the horn. Just finished a 15 miles. Check out their website, www.globalbikesonline.com .

I still have a bruse from last time!

Anonymous said...

If I lived in Casper, I'd be hooked on meth. Maybe that's just me though?

Phillip

p.s.- I am jealous of your trip as I sit here bored at work (again on a Saturday)

Anonymous said...

A heads up for those of you who may not know, but Andrew is very vain about his car! He gets a car wash like every four weeks. Back in NJ, I think I went twice a year at best, and Andrew went like every other month at a bear minimum.

Also, one of his favorite phrases is, Habs, chug water, just chug! Go figure he'd actually drive by a sign that said it and that is an actual name of a town.

Sorry babe, had to raz you a tad, after your very complimentary pictures down under.

luv ya Habs!