Thursday, July 19, 2007

Devils Tower and Casper

Surprise surprise I woke up early (this is becoming a bad little habit, but it can't be helped...the tent is like a greenhouse as soon as the sun comes up). I took a sweet ride from the KOA camp site up to Devils Tower. Only a few miles or so but ALL up hill (of course coming down rocked - I tucked it and passed a few cars). There was a cool hike around the base of the tower. Climbers abound...see pics!

I was on the back roads on the way from Devils Tower down to Gillette. I saw a guy on a bike who was obviously doing some sort of trip. The poor dude was biking into a serious headwind. I stopped and we chatted for a bit. Turns out he's 1 month into a ride from Chicago to Seattle. He gave me all kinds of insights into long distance biking. Very motivating. Maybe if I can line up a job and have a couple of weeks of downtime before it starts, I'll take a quick bike trip down to LA or something (that is, if the boss (Habs) approves!)

After Devils I wanted to play 2 WY disc courses - one in Gillette and the second in Casper. Unfortunately the rest of the day turned into an uphill battle. Wasted a whole bunch of time in Gillette trying to find the course and never did (the directions on the pdga web site to the courses always seem to be lame), and then by the time I got down to Casper there were lightning storms all over the place. Only got to play about half of the course. It also got incredibly windy - I'd say a good 30+ mph - huge challenge to set up the tent. I can still see lightning all over the place too - tonight in the tent is going to be sweet. At least I got a nice shower - I'm thinkin' I was a stinkin'!!!

Speaking of which, let me tell you about a little learnings capture from this trip. Before I started, I was wondering if I'd be able to hack it in a tent. Let me tell you - it turns out I'd way rather be in a tent for $20/night than in any kind of cheap hotel/motel - it's clean, it's my own space and my own stuff, and even though you're outside it's not like the bugs get at you. If you pick your campground wisely (e.g. try to stay at least 1 mi from the interstate) you're set. It's also easier in that I'm not making fires/cooking dinner or anything - it's still food from gas stations and pubs and stuff in the towns where I end up. One other thing - I get the feeling that camping has changed a lot over the past few years. I'm usually a minority with a tent (everyone seems to pull up in huge RVs), and the Internet is EVERYWHERE. That guy biking from Chicago to Seattle was actually doing his work projects at night - the ultimate mobile office.

Ok, Later.

Pics:

This is near the entrance to Devils Tower...all up hill from here!


A couple of climbers. I'd be up there too but I wouldn't want to show them up or anything ;)


Check out that dude straddling - tough stuff!




Disc course in Casper was rugged and long, but like I said the lightning booted me out of there.


This is the tent right next to mine - that puppy is bound to blow away tonight. The wind is unbelievable. When I took the picture and the flash went off I think I heard a few expletives coming from within...someone's literally going to be floating in there tonight!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good news - I might be buying a new canoe this weekend.

Glad to hear that you are getting up early. It is a truly motivating experience. Alternatively, you can whip yourself fifty times with a leather belt.

Anonymous said...

Hey Andrew -

In case you do plan a longer bike trip, if you're interested I could put you in touch with a guy J. P. knows who biked from the Jersey Shore to Seattle this spring. It took him a little over a month, and he really had a tremendous experience. One funny thing - he said that Montana apparently has the biggest road-kill...he actually saw a dead horse by the side of the road!

Sarah

Anonymous said...

How is it motivating to wake up early? I don't quite get it?

Habs

Anonymous said...

My friend Lisa's dad just spent 7 weeks riding from Los Angeles to Boston - 3415 miles. He's 59 was about "middle of the road" for the group he went with. There was one guy who was 80 and riding with his 23 yr. old. grandson. And kicked the kid's butt apparently. They went all back roads through these small honkey tonk towns. Sounded very fun to me! But I'd prefer to do the trip in the back of a rickshaw. :-)

Kara

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.