Saturday, July 28, 2007

Fruita

Grand Junction is under 10 miles from Fruita, and Fruita has killer mountain biking, so that was my activity for the afternoon (after I shopped around for a bit to make sure I had a place to sleep tonight…I scored a camp site right in Fruita!)

Not too much to say other than the biking was awesome and remote (I came across 1 person the entire time) and some parts were quite challenging – some great single track climbs and descents in rocky desert terrain. It was super hot too – I’d say at least high 90’s. I biked for about 3 hours on the “starter” trails (a bunch of different trails off “road 18”). Tomorrow I’m going to hit some of the bigger stuff (kokopelli)! If anyone's a biker and is interested, see link for neat pics
http://fruita.peterbeers.net/

Of course there are lightning storms that I can see in the distance in 2 different directions after I set up the tent. I even waited until 8p to try to avoid the afternoon t-storms…hopefully I don’t go back to a soaked sleeping bag after dinner (or wait, maybe that’ll add to the challenge ;)

Check out the pics:

When I checked out of the "Two Rivers Inn" in Grand Junction (this is the kind of place it was: (
http://www.postindependent.com/article/20070517/FRONTPAGE/70517004), I felt sorry for my next door neighbor's dog "Oscar"...his owner was having a nice cold frostie (early in the morning - I cropped him out to protect the innocent!), so I gave him one of mine. I wonder if Oscar ever got to enjoy it...


Mountain biking in Fruita is sweet!!!



I'm really appreciating the dual suspension bike out here. It's so noticeable how the rear shock eats the rock bumps.

It's pretty desolate out here (and relentless)...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andrew
As I look at and read your blog, I feel like I am watching Survivorman. The pictures of you biking away leaving the camera behind. Having to do things twice. Les Stroud would be so proud. Maybe you should contact him after the trip and send him a copy of the entire blog. Discovery Channel may need want a new series called "On the Trail with Andrew"
Keep the stories and pictures coming. We are all along for this adventure even if we sit nice and comfortable from our homes and offices. Take care.
KIM

Anonymous said...

A - Kim makes an excellent point - you are Suvivor Man II! Adversity is everywhere, not just in the jungles of Costa Rica. :)

Can't wait to join you tomorrow - maybe we'll get to sleep in the mountains where those bike trails are. It will be huge test of adversity for me!

luv, habs