Saturday, August 4, 2007

Run Forrest, Run!

I crashed hard at the Super 8 in Blanding after the all night rain debacle in the tent the prior night. Today I headed south through Monument Valley (I'm almost certain that's where one of those running scenes in Forrest Gump was filmed) and then west to Bryce Canyon. Didn't quite make it over to Bryce, but I did find a nice little campground (right next to a major road, of course!) in Kanab. The earplugs are working great, however. Also, there was a laundromat next to this puppy so I had the opportunity to cut down on the stinkage...

Pics:

I started out on a little run from here...I figured I'd be able to at least make it over to the Santa Monica pier in LA and back, but I had to quit after about 100 yards or so. One interesting little factoid - I thought that this whole area was going to be so barren, but there were tons of cars all over the place. This is actually the main highway going through Monument Valley, so I had to time it just right to get this shot. That was a little disappointing, as in the movie Forrest was running down the middle of this desolate road with a whole posse behind him.


Plenty of stuff like this in Monument Valley...


...oh, and it was all "open range". There were cows and horses walking all over the place so you had to be careful. What was kind of cool was that someone was herding them up via Jeep (how contemporary ;)


Since it's blog movie day, does anyone remember that Charlie Sheen movie "The Arrival"...the one where the aliens are mass producing CO2 in order to get a killer greenhouse effect going and take over the planet? What the heck is this all about out in the desert?! It was kind of hot over there (granted it's been a sauna for weeks ;)


It poured in AZ for a few mins, and this was the aftermath from an overlook of Lake Powell


Ok, so the canyoneering guide motivated me so much that I went for it at the local grocery store. Huge points for presentation on the trunk of the car. Hmm...I think all in all it was a bit dry...might have to find a nice slice or 2 or pizza tomorrow...



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That sandwich looks horrible! Enough with going vegan! Again, seriously? Although the more healthy wrap sandwiches, albeit with a bit of turkey in there was quite good!

Only you would know about the nuclear-related movies out there. Oh, and of course Forrest Gump! For those of you who don't know, Andrew also loves that movie and either quotes it all the time, or tests me when a song that was played in that movie comes on the radio. You'd think by now that I would, by default, just say Forrest Gump, but I never do. Andrew suckers me every time!

Luv,
Habs